Close X

DUI Blog

Hardship Permits Can Take the Strain Off a License Suspension

Posted by Kevin Trombold DUI Defense Attorney | Aug 19, 2015 | 0 Comments


If you're one of the many people who get arrested in Washington every year for driving under the influence (DUI), then you'll be facing fines, a license suspension and possibly even jail time, if you get convicted. While the fines and the jail time are imposing and can be downright scary, the license suspension is still a very important penalty, that can have a huge impact on your life. Without a license, you can't legally drive, and if you can't drive, then you'll have some serious problems getting to and from work. While your boss may be understanding, at first, that patience will quickly run out if you consistently have trouble getting in on time.

Luckily, there's something that you can do about this pressing dilemma. In the state of Washington, if your driver's license has been suspended due to a DUI conviction, you may be able to get a hardship permit. This is a limited driver's license that allows you to drive in certain, admittedly limited, circumstances, such as when you can drive, where you can drive, and what vehicles you can drive. Importantly, though, it does allow you to drive to and from work, which may be the difference between holding on to your job, or losing it as a result of your DUI conviction.

To apply for a hardship permit, called a Restricted Driver's License by the Washington Department of Licensing, you'll need to fill out and submit this form, along with the following attendant documents:

  • An SR-22 form, showing that you have car insurance,
  • If you're required to have an Ignition Interlock Device in your car, then you'll need to supply documentation that one has been installed in your vehicle, and that it satisfies Washington certifications, and
  • A $100 application fee

The Washington Department of Licensing must receive all of this documentation within 30 days of receiving your application, or else you'll have to start all over, and will lose the $100 application fee.

Once you have a restricted license, you'll have to abide by certain conditions, or else it will be revoked. If your SR-22 is cancelled, or your Ignition Interlock Device either stops working, or gets removed from your car, then your restricted license will be taken away. It can also be revoked if you're convicted of violating the restrictions of the license, such as the time or geographical limitations, if your stated reason for needing the license is no longer in effect, like if you end up losing your job, or if something else happens that puts another suspension on your driver's license.

While there are many limitations on a hardship permit, it does allow you to at least provide some damage control on your life after a conviction for DUI. If you, or someone you know, could benefit from having one, call the law office of Kevin Trombold at 206-971-0067 for help setting one up.

About the Author

Kevin Trombold DUI Defense Attorney

Highly rated by former clients, who praise his warm, knowledgeable courtside manner and his fierce determination to reduce or eliminate charges. An accomplished speaker, author, and leader in DUI defense statewide Kevin is well respected by judges, prosecutors, and other attorneys across the State of Washington for his expertise, integrity, and knowledge in the complicated forensic science area of impaired driving allegations.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

We Want To Hear From You

Your story matters. We want to hear from you. Call 206-971-0067 for a free consultation

Hundreds of Thrilled Clients

While my traffic case was minor, I didn't want to go it alone. My friend recommended Kevin to me. From the first phone conversation til it was resolved, Kevin and his team were pure perfection! This is the team you want on your side. Period. - K.M.